Waitangi and Cape Reinga

Muriwai Day Trip with Jennie

Monday, 2 February 2009

My first day with my new class!

Well I've survived my first day of teaching in NZ! I had an early start getting organised and the children were in so early! From 8am so I got to know some of the children and their parents early this morning! I had a wonderful warm welcome from the staff and children in assembly-one of the Year 6 boys gave me a garland of purple flowers which is traditional in Samoan culture for welcoming/special occasions.

The day went by really quickly and I just spent time getting to know the children and routines. I only had 11 out of 25 children who are supposed to be in my class! (You think the attendance is bad at home! ;)) One teacher only had 4 children in!!

The school day is so different to ours-they have 2 hours of literacy each morning, followed by fitness and half an hour morning tea, then an hour of numeracy, half an hour Learning Pathways (a bit like BLP but is their way of teaching all subjects through a theme) followed by lunch then just an hour in the afternoon for assembly, art or sports! The day just flew by as you can imagine and the weather's been so hot it was nice to be indoors in the shade! The children eat all their food outside so there's no sittings for lunch so the make the lunch break really short which is nice and means we can finish at 2.45pm.

I've just got home and now have tonnes of work to do so I must get on with that! Thanks for all your good luck comments-I really appreciate it and will try and keep updating you xxx

PS I am currently sat at my brand new desk which I built (I'm really getting into all this DIY stuff now!) but the top bit doesn't seem to be fastened very securely so I think I need a screwdriver for that...and behind me is a new bedside table, also built by my good self! Now I'm just showing off! ;)

4 comments:

  1. really glad to hear your first day went so well - always knew it would! By the time you read this, we will have had an extra day off!!! snow closure! - ...a bit different to your hot weather! Hope more of your children turn up soon! Take care, JONxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your getting on well and you like your new class we have had snow here so a bit of a differance to your sun shine .. no school today from callam r

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,Miss Hughes!,

    I am having a very good time at school, with Mrs Ansell and Mrs Davies! This week, I have enjoyed Art, Science and FRECH!(The best lesson of all!) And with Mrs Ansell, I enjoyed Music and R.E.

    Missing you loads!

    Stephie x xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to here u r getting on well :)



    missing u


    parveen .s :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.